Veterinary Technician Cancer Society
VTCS is on Facebook
We encourage all VTCS members to submit links to journal articles or websites that you find interesting and that you feel will advance your fellow technicians.
Our mission is to be an advocate of the cancer patient and maintain the highest standards of care and treatment of animals with cancer. We attain this mission by promoting technician communication, education, and specialization in the field of veterinary oncology.
VTCS search for new liaison in 2019
Several years ago, the executive board of the VTCS was replaced by a technician who agreed to serve in a two year liaison position. Since that time, some incredible technician members have stepped up to the plate to lead the group and represent technicians through their participation with the Executive Committee. Thanks to Jo Tootell, Rebecca Acuna and most recently, Kathi Smith, for leading the charge. Kathi’s two year term will end at the end of the year and it’s time to find another willing technician to take the lead role.
The Liaison is expected to participate in VCS activities through the year in the following ways:
- communicate in person, or via skype, with the EC during board meetings (held twice yearly), recommending changes, programming or ideas that benefit technician members
- submit a one page newsletter article/update for the VCS quarterly newsletter
- attend ACVIM in June to help staff the VCS exhibit booth
- assist the local program chair with planning the VTCS annual workshop
- communicate with technicians through the year on projects that benefit technician members
- update the VTCS page on the website as needed; utilize the VTCS Facebook page to communicate with technicians
- respond to email sent directly to the VTCS email account
- facilitate the VTCS business meeting during the VTCS Workshop at the annual conference each October
- facilitate discussion on the technician list serv
Benefits of the Liaison position:
- Complimentary conference registration for the annual conference for the duration of the term in office
- Three nights complimentary hotel rooms during the annual conference
- Flight costs and hotel accommodations paid for attendance at ACVIM in June
In October, VTCS will hold their annual business meeting at the VCS Annual Conference in Louisville and will discuss this position with the group, While you don’t need to be there to submit your name for this position, it is always helpful to be informed. If you cannot attend, but are interested in serving in this position, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than October 1st. Elections will take place soon after the Annual Conference and the new liaison will take over starting January 1, 2019.
Thanks to Stokes Pharmacy, all 2017 technicians who returned their membership form by April 1st received complimentary membership in 2018. Any NEW technician who wishes to join VCS must pay the $40 membership rate. The late fee for renewing members is $90 after April 1st.
2018 VTCS WORKSHOP
Please join us at the 2018 Annual Conference in Louisville, KY. VTCS is planning an outstanding workshop that will begin on Thursday afternoon with a Cytology/Hematology lab that is included in the conference registration fee, and concludes on Saturday afternoon. The session will, once again, include three case reports submitted by member technicians. Check out the conference website for more information and a preliminary schedule in the coming weeks.
This year’s program chair is Kathi Smith, our technician liaison.
Websites of Interest
- Ontario Association of Veterinary Technology
- NAVTA (North American Veterinary Technician Association)
- Academy of Internal Medicine(ACVIM) for Veterinary Technicians
- Veterinary Support Personnel Network
The Veterinary Support Personnel Network is for people working in the field of veterinary medicine; membership in VSPN is free. In addition to information about veterinary oncology, the VSPN community features message boards, chats, and accredited CE for veterinary technicians. To register, visit the VSPN Web site.