Veterinary Technician Cancer Society
2020 VTCS Updates
Hello fellow technician members! The current state of the world given Covid-19 has us all on edge. The unknown provides a daily reminder that life is fluid and can change drastically without much warning. We are continually monitoring changes as they occur and taking those changes into consideration while preparing for our yearly conference. The safety of the veterinary community is of the utmost importance and we will work feverishly to ensure a clean, safe environment at our conference later this year. Also high on the list of importance is our own mental health. Throughout these uncertain times it is easy to get lost in the hopelessness and helplessness. Take care of yourselves and your friends/colleagues. Check in on one another and support those you can. We are in this together!
VCS is working hard to provide resources and benefits to your membership that are truly valuable, especially right now! Below are some updates for all of us as we navigate through 2020…
MEMBERSHIP SYSTEM/ONLINE COMMUNITIES
As you are acclimating to the new membership portal, take note of all of the members’ only benefits once you log in. You will have an opportunity to join in with your colleagues in connecting and communicating within the VTCS online community directly from our membership system – no need to log in to another system! We will let you know as soon as those communities are opened up to the membership! In addition, the technician education videos from previous conferences are still available, but you will now find them through this portal, as well as all of your VCS member needs, all in one place! Take some time to explore the portal. We hope you find it user friendly and easy to navigate. Please let the VCS staff know if you have any questions. Call or email Cindy Hazelrigg at 573-823-8809 or email@example.com and she’ll be happy to help!
At this time, VCS is still planning on hosting our 2020 Annual Conference in October in Daytona Beach. Casey Mobley and Aspen Schreiner, coworkers at Southeast Veterinary Oncology and Internal Medicine just outside of Jacksonville, are hard at work developing a great workshop program for you. I have been monitoring their progress and I am very excited for the range of topics they are working to provide. You can see details on the Technician Workshop at http://vetcancersociety.org/conference/technicians/ as well as specific Annual Conference information at the link below.
Annual Conference Details: http://vetcancersociety.org/conference/
April 2021 Mid-Year Conference details can be found at www.vetcancersociety.org/midyear-conference.
Brooke Quesnell, VCS Technician Liaison
- 2019 RENEWING MEMBERS: Thanks to Epicur Pharma (formerly Stokes Pharmacy), your 2019 membership has been renewed for 2020. Due to the transition to our new membership system, all 2019 members were renewed even if you didn’t get a form submitted. In the future, you will still be asked to renew individually so that we can be sure your information is the most current.Thank you, Epicur Pharmacy!
- NEW TECHNICIAN MEMBERS: Any technician joining VCS for the very first time will pay $40 regardless of the time of year that you join. Before April 2nd you may pay online by starting HERE. The $40 rate will no longer be active online after April 1st. Instead you will complete the form that you will find HERE if you reside in the US or Canada. If you are an international technician that meets the criteria of international membership (see above) click HERE for the proper form.
2020 VTCS WORKSHOP
Join us for the 2020 Technician Workshop at VCS in October! This year’s conference will explore current topics relevant to all technicians – those just starting out to those seasoned professionals who have been in the industry for many years. Check out the conference website HERE! We look forward to seeing you!
2020 VTS SPECIALTY LICENSE SCHOLARSHIP
Did you know that each year the Veterinary Cancer Society provides a (up to) $2500 travel scholarship to as many as two veterinary technician members who pursue their specialty certification? The application deadline is October 1st of each year. Those interested in applying for the scholarship must meet several criteria including the following:
- Applicant must be a current member of VCS, must have been a member for two full years prior to applying, and must maintain their VCS membership throughout the testing period.
- Submit the scholarship application no later than October 1st of each year. Scholarship recipients will be chosen at the EC meeting in October each year.
- Must pursue an oncology-related specialty.
- Must provide letters of support from a board-certified oncologist.
- For an application visit: VCS TECHNICIAN SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
- For more information on the process of earning your specialty license visit http://www.aimvt.com/ or contact Brooke Quesnell at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about the submission process, please email email@example.com.
Don’t miss out on a chance to get your specialty certification and have much, if not all, of your travel expenses paid for!
VTCS is on Facebook
We encourage all VTCS members to submit links to journal articles or websites that you find interesting and that you feel will advance your fellow technicians.
Our mission is to be an advocate of the cancer patient and maintain the highest standards of care and treatment of animals with cancer. We attain this mission by promoting technician communication, education, and specialization in the field of veterinary oncology.
Websites of Interest
- Ontario Association of Veterinary Technology
- ACVIM (American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine)
- NAVTA (North American Veterinary Technician Association)
- AIMVT (Academy of Internal Medicine for Veterinary Technicians)
- Veterinary Support Personnel Network
The Veterinary Support Personnel Network is for people working in the field of veterinary medicine; membership in VSPN is free. In addition to information about veterinary oncology, the VSPN community features message boards, chats, and accredited CE for veterinary technicians. To register, visit the VSPN Web site.
- Veterinary Technician Cancer Series